Melbourne urologist : conditions
What are urological conditions?
Melbourne urologist: list of conditions
List of urological conditions
At my practice, you can count on my expertise for these common urological issues and problems:
- Prostate: enlarged prostate, prostatitis, PSA tests, and prostate cancer
- Bladder: problems with urination, incontinence, urethral stricture, blood in your urine
- Kidney: kidney stones, kidney masses, and cysts
Other conditions I treat are:
Melbourne urologist: testicular lump or bulge
Testicular lump or bulge
So what exactly is a testicular lump or a bulge? In brief, it is an abnormal mass that forms in your testicles. As a key part of your male reproductive system, each testis is contained in a ‘sack of skin’, your scrotum, underneath the penis.
You can experience this at any age and other symptoms may include:
- Blood in your urine
- Changes in the texture of the testicle
- Heaviness at the site of the affected testicle
If you or your child suffers from a testicular twist or torsion, which causes sudden testicular pain, it is important to go to the emergency department. If left untreated, a testicular twist can cause death of the testicle and the loss of the testicle.
Testicular lumps or swelling can be quite common and could be due to infections, build-up of fluid within the layers surrounding the testes causing a cyst or hydrocele. A blow to the testes can also cause an injury, which then leads to a bulge.
Cancer is another factor that causes lumps. Therefore it is important to get these assessed and so if you have any concern about a bulge or a lump, ask your GP to refer you to a urologist.
What I do to provide a clear diagnosis is plan a physical examination of the area. We look at changes in size or position, and we check any swelling or tenderness. The typical routine tests I use may include an ultrasound, a CT scan, urine and/or blood tests including an STI screening.
Your treatment plan will depend on the diagnosis and this is a brief overview of the urological treatment types I offer at my practice in Melbourne:
- Infection of the epididymis: Usually antibiotics and sometimes painkillers. If there is sexually transmitted infection, then the partner may also require treatment.
- Swelling scrotum or hydrocele: If you don’t have any symptoms, keeping an eye on it may be enough. In other cases, surgery may be necessary to remove the fluid to prevent recurrence.
- Enlarged blood vessels/veins around the testicle or varicocele: These can be treated with minimally invasive procedures without an incision to keyhole procedures with a small incision.
- Cancer of the testis: These generally require surgery to remove the testicle to define the type of cancer, followed by a discussion about the need for any additional therapies. We use a multidisciplinary approach and this may include the work of an oncologist if you need chemotherapy.
Melbourne urologist: adrenal lumps or masses
Adrenal lumps or masses
How are adrenal masses or lumps diagnosed?
Some of the small adrenal lumps or masses can be monitored after full evaluation and may not need further treatment. If these are proven to be cancerous, the adrenal gland might need to be surgically removed either laparoscopically, robotically or as open surgery.
In advanced tumours, additional chemotherapy may also be needed.
Melbourne urologist: Dr Weranja
Why Dr Weranja for urological conditions?
‘The goal is to offer you my experience, my commitment and my care so we go on a journey together to make you better. Together, we will create clarity about your diagnosis, discuss and select the best possible treatment pathway based on the latest research and my experience, and aim for the shortest recovery time.’
- Camberwell Road Specialists and Allied Health
- Ground floor, 124 - 126 Camberwell Road
- Hawthorn East VIC 3123
- Waverley Private Hospital
- 343-357 Blackburn Road
- MOUNT WAVERLEY VIC 3149
- Holmesglen Private Hospital
- 490 South Road, Suite A1,
Moorabbin VIC 3189
- Epworth Freemasons Medical Centre
- 320 Victoria Parade,
1st Floor, Suite 103
East Melbourne VIC 3002
- 173 Whitehorse Rd,
Blackburn VIC 3130